Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 - Thursday October 14th - Sunday October 17th

First of all, let me say it's been a busy 4 days! I kept meaning to write my blog for each day, but there was just no time in between everything I was doing to sit down and write up an entry. I can't even completely remember what I did specifically on each day, but I'll try my best to recall some of my more memorable experiences. We've been having really great weather finally, so I've spent literally every moment I could outside enjoying it. The only unfortunate thing is that it got really windy on the 14th to the point where trees were swaying and the weather channel said the gusts were going at 60km/h! This wind made it a little cool outside, but more importantly, it meant the beach was still not able to be visited because the water was affected as it made more rips which could be dangerous to swimmers. We attempted to visit the beach again on the 16th when it was open again, but the water had been turned a dirty brown color. A lot of dirt had been blown up with the winds and storms, so it still wasn't safe to swim in and I will have to wait another few days before attempting to go into it.

Although I had also planned to go to the beach on the 14th, I once again had to change my plans because of the weather. Cameron and I saw this beautiful day as an opportunity to go and get our passes at Movie world. Basically, on the Gold Coast there are 5 different huge theme parks you can visit which are quite expensive if you pay for them separately but there are some discounted rates if you get a ticket for them as a group of all 3. We went and bought a yearly pass for 3 of the parks: Movie world, Sea world, and Wet'n'Wild Water world. The other two parks, Dreamworld and Whitewater World require a separate pass which we did go and get later on the 17th. The reason I've been so busy for the past few days is because I've visited a theme park literally every day! On the 14th it was Movie World, Sea World on the 15th, back to Movie World on the 16th and then Dreamworld for the 17th. I can't say I've had a boring day, and I've gotten quite a bit of sun!

The 14th was the day we got our pass for the first 3 parks, and Cameron and I had to drive out to Movie World to go and buy it. We also brought along his friend Zac, who was really fun to go and see the theme park with because he absolutely loves all of the rides. As soon as we got there we got to see one of the many shows that Movie World puts on in their main entrance area. The one we saw was based around Batman. Basically, live actors in the middle of the roped off street area performed fighting scenes where ninjas were attacking 'Gotham City' and Batman had to come and help save it. It was really neat and I've never seen anything like it. I guess if I had to compare it reminded me a bit of the Fringe street theater, but much more enjoyable and with a story that was easy to recognize. Cameron told me that a few times during the day the main entrance area of the park is roped off and turns into something similar to a stage, where lots of little mini shows are put on.

After we watched that show we quickly got in line for a live stunt show called Hollywood Stunt Driver. They have a gigantic set and the premise of this show is that the audience is a set of extras for an action movie being filmed right on the lot. It looks like a real movie lot where driving scenes could be filmed, so you feel like it is quite realistic and if you didn't know you were at a theme park you'd definitely think you WERE going to be part of a movie! There was even a 'director' and cameramen. Some of the audience did participate with reaction shots, but the whole of the show was a set of cars doing some really amazing stunts, like driving completely on their side tires, or breaking in half completely, and a car even jumped completely over the set! It was unbelievable and I will definitely go watch it again.

While we were at the park we also saw a 4-D movie called 'Journey to the Center of the Earth', which was quite interactive. Everyone sat on seats in a theater and were tossed around, had water sprayed at our faces, wind gusts surprising us, all while 'running from' gigantic dinosaurs and other monsters. I was feeling a little shaken up after, for obvious reasons.

There are quite a few rides at the park, all of them being based off of some Warner Brother's movie or show. All of the restaurants and shops are themed as well. We went on the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster, which was based in an extremely detailed looking castle (which they actually used in the Scooby-Doo movie!) and more terrifying than you'd expect. I will never be able to go to Capital Ex again and go on their so called 'horror ride' after this. I mean, they make you think an actual ax is going to fall on your head! Plus I've never been on such a long, thrilling roller coaster. It didn't have any big loops or super high drops but it was exciting because of the presentation.

Another roller coaster that I enjoyed was the Superman Escape. This thing... I was not expecting it, I'll put it that way. I've only ever been on a roller coaster that goes at medium speed with a few predictable and obvious twists and turns. The roller coasters here all surprise you, and this one takes the cake. You go from 0 to 100kmph in 2 SECONDS! I remember sitting there inside of the 'subway station' in Metropolis as it was about to collapse, and hearing Superman's voice boom in your ears, "I'll get you out of here... Superman fast!" and then being absolutely propelled outwards and into the sky. It was insane!!! I have never felt the rush I felt then in my life, and no one had told me just how quick or high it shot up. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to go on it again.

The other roller coaster we visited that day at the park was the Wild West Falls Adventure. It was not a busy ride at this particular time because the day had been somewhat windy so far and the water would not make for a very comfortable walk around the park. Nonetheless, we boarded and prepared to get wet. It was hilarious because Cameron's friend Zac sat at the front of the ride, noting that sitting in the front is the best spot because you don't get wet. 5 minutes later, Zac was soaking wet, and so were we, but it was worth it. You travel inside of ghost towns and geysers, and you exit via a 'mountain' down a huge fall. That Niagara Falls at Capital Ex is just destroyed by this ride. I would happily ride it a million times in a row.

When we were totally finished getting smashed around at Movie World we drove home, and as I was feeling slightly sick, I went to bed soon after. It was still a great day, just way more than I had been prepared for!

The next day, on the 15th, Cameron and I went to visit Sea World for the first time. I was super excited and looking forward to seeing all of the different animals that they take care of there. It was quite windy and there was a sprinkle of rain during our visit, but it was still wonderful and since it was rainy it wasn't extremely busy for a Friday. I had the opportunity to visit the underwater aquarium, which was incredible. You could see sharks close up as well as about 30 different species of fish and other sea creatures. We stayed down there for about 15 minutes just watching all of them interact and swim around. There were string rays, manta rays, several different types of sharks and a huge variety of exotic fish. I have never seen a shark before, let alone look directly into one's mouth, but it's good to now know what the thing I need to completely avoid looks like!

While in Sea World I also visited the polar bears and the ray reef. The polar bears were completely adorable for something so dangerous. One of them decided to lay on a rock and just relax while the other one did flips and dives in the water, showing off for all of the people at the underwater observatory. At the ray reef, I actually had the opportunity to 'pet' a sting ray and a guitar fish. They glided along the huge pool of water they live in, and they'd run their bodies against the wall facing the audience so we could pat them. The sting ray felt very smooth and slimy and the guitar fish was bumpy and hard. I was completely afraid to pet the sting ray for the first time because I didn't want to aggravate it, but after watching other people interact with them I discovered they are quite gentle creatures and don't mind the attention. Nearby that exhibit I also got to feel a starfish, and a sea cucumber. It was hard to believe those creatures were alive, as they seem so lifeless and still but it was wonderful to get the chance to see and feel them. Finally, as far as animals go, we passed by the Seabird Rehabilitation Aviary, where injured birds go to recover. There were several pelicans, seagulls, ibis, and a few other common birds in Australia. It was nice to see them being taken care of instead of having to go through life hurt.

Sea World also has a few rides and shows, but other than the Bermuda Triangle Roller Coaster we didn't go on any at that park or see any shows. I will have to go back on a nicer day to enjoy the park more, but I loved seeing all of the animals!

On the 16th Cameron and I went back to explore Movie World, this time we weren't as interested in the rides, we were mostly just walking around and enjoying the nice day. We got to see a large parade featuring many of the famous Warner Brother's characters such as Batman, The Joker, Cat Woman, Bugs Bunny, Tweety, Daffy Duck and the Justice League. It took place in the main entrance area where I saw the Batman presentation two days before. It was adorable to watch all the children get so excited to see their favorite characters, even getting to shake Batman's hand (while the joker hid underneath his cape).

We didn't have much time there, but we managed to get on the Batman Adventure ride (a flight simulator where you are actually tossed around) and the Looney Tunes River Ride (a slow roller-coaster mainly for kids but with a really cute story). For the past few nights after we've finished visiting a theme park we'll go for a drive later in the night down to the beach and Surfer's Paradise, and that day was no exception. I think it's a wonderful way to finish off a night and the city looks so beautiful it just makes me happy to be here.

On the 17th we wanted to do something different, so instead of going to one of the parks we already got our passes for we decided to drive to Dreamworld and see what that amusement park had in store for us. To be honest, I wanted to go there that day for one reason in particular... the animals! There is something like a mini-zoo in one area of Dreamworld, and I had heard that it was home to several koala bears and kangaroos. I can't believe I've lived my entire life never seeing a koala bear, but I didn't want to wait any longer. Once we got there we spent about 2 hours walking around the entire park, finally reaching the animals. So far in Australia, the absolute most exciting thing to happen to me was the moment I walked into that fenced off little park and saw the kangaroos hopping around amongst the humans. There were no cages, you were allowed to just walk right up to them and pet them, we even got some pellets of food to feed them! They seemed happy, most of them were sleepy, and I even got to watch a baby joey being fed by it's mother. Nearby there were koalas hanging onto trees and eating their leaves. They are just so sweet as well. You are allowed to pick them up and hold them too, but since it costs a bit of money I plan to do it the next time I'm there.

After seeing the kangaroos and koalas we kept walking until we were at the aviary, where we saw about 20 different types of native Australian birds. Some of them were gigantic, some were loud, and all of them were unique and like no other birds I've ever seen. I can't wait to take pictures next time I visit so I can remember all of the incredible animals I've seen. Along the path there were also surprisingly adorable tasmanian devils, cuddly-looking wombats, and a nocturnal cave with squirrel gliders, bats, and other night-time creatures. Our last stop was at an enclosure with a few average-sized crocodiles, and one GIGANTIC one! It was literally longer than a car and about as wide as one. It could devour anyone in about 1 second, and Cameron told me it took 40 men just to capture it to get it to Dreamworld. It was absolutely unbelievable and I hope I never have to run into one like that outside of a zoo! We went too late in the day to see any shows or presentations, but next time when we come earlier I plan to watch the alligator feedings and anything else relating to the animals. I think it's just so amazing to get to see them all up close!

After dinner that night Cameron and I met up with some of his friends and played a few games at Timezone, the arcade. Afterward we decided to drive up to something called the glow worm cave. I had heard a lot about it before coming to Australia when I was at home researching what attractions I wanted to see, and since it was something I was hoping to visit I agreed to going. I was not aware, however, that it would require a 2 hour trip up a mountain! The road up was full of twists and turns, and in the car one of Cameron's friends mentioned how "this long, windy deserted path reminded him of the Texas chainsaw massacre", which was of course comforting. I am so thankful we went when it was night-time and pitch black, because apparently we were driving alongside cliffs constantly. I don't know if that is supposed to make me feel better or worse really, but either way, we made it to and from our destination alive. Once we got to the cave after a brief walk in the dark, I got to see some of the glow worms hanging from the ceiling and glowing. It was quite beautiful, and a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but unfortunately the heavy rain from the past few days had killed many of them so the ceiling wasn't as covered as I'm told it normally is. The cave itself was located under a waterfall, and I imagine in the daylight it would be a beautiful site. The glow worms, however, can only be seen at night because the light kills them. Though I don't plan on coming back I'll definitely remember the trip there and it was something special you just can't find in Canada.



 The Sea World Aquarium


 A lizard just wandering around Sea World





The Polar Bears



Me patting a starfish (and accidentally moving it, then subsequently being shocked about it moving...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Recent News